The Arctic Economic Council (AEC) is an independent organization created by the Arctic Council. Its purpose is to facilitate Arctic business-to-business activities and responsible economic development. Through the sharing of best practices, standards and innovative solutions the AEC will promote responsible economic development in the Arctic. The AEC will reflect accurately the significance of current Arctic business activity and serve as the synthesis of Arctic business perspectives for consideration by the Arctic Council.
To make the Arctic a favorable place to do business
To facilitate sustainable Arctic economic and business development
- Facilitate responsible business and economic development of the Arctic and its communities
- Share and advocate for best practices, technological solutions, and standards
- Support market accessibility
- Provide advice and a business perspective to the work of the Arctic Council
THE FIVE OVERARCHING THEMES:
The following five overarching themes were identified by the Arctic business community. They form the core of the AEC’s work.
- Fostering strong market connections within the Arctic as a vital part of international value chains
- Encouraging public-private partnerships for infrastructure Investments
- Promoting stable and predictable regulatory frameworks
- Facilitating knowledge and data exchange between industry and academia
- Embracing traditional indigenous knowledge, stewardship and small business
For more information about the AEC, please read the AEC flyer
AEC EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE:
The AEC Executive Committee shall oversee the strategy and implementation of AEC activities, including through the establishment of additional working groups, and provide direction to the Secretariat.
AEC GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE:
The AEC Governance Committee means the committee formed to manage and control all of the governance affairs of the AEC. Each national AEC organization and each Permanent Participant organization may appoint one Representative as a voting member of the AEC Governance Committee.
For interview requests, please contact the office of the Secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org